Wadi Numeira, a.k.a the “water Petra”. Wonderful, peaceful, colorful !
25 January 2018
- Lenght: 6,2 km round trip
- Duration: 2 hours and a half, with a family and a lunch time
- track of the hike (.gpx format) :
- Elevation gain 100m D+. starting point – 351m, maximum elevation – 281m.
- Difficulty : easy, even with young kids. A couple of obstacles (rocks, less than 1 meter high) We had to “withdraw” because of a 2 meters high rock with a small waterfall. Shouldn’t be an issue without any kid…
- Round trip : no, most of the Siq is totally unescapable.
What we liked:
- a truely magical atmosphere, comparable to the Siq of Petra, but with a water stream in the middle !
- the colors of the sandstone, the lights
- the quietness – as long as you don’t go there on week end afternoons, as the wadi is very popular amongst jordans.
What we didn’t like:
- So many painted tags and signatures and love declarations on the bottom of the cliffs (written in arabic – but there is suprinsingly a painting of a jewish menorah on a rock at the end) on the first 1500 meters. They will disappear as you walk further into the Siq.
- (updated in April 2019) pollution at the entrance of the wadi, with many picnic waste…Clore your eyes during the first 300 meters or so of the hike. Or, even better, take a trash bag and pick up some trash so that you leave the wadi cleaner than it was before you came in 🙂 .
A new wadi to discover, with a really wonderful ambiance : you feel just as if you were walking in the great Siq of Petra. Plus there is a little stream so that the kids can play watergames on your way in the wadi! 🙂 .
This wadi is also very popular amongst the Jordans, which mean there are good chnces that you meet a lot of people on fridays and saturdays. Thus best is to take half a day off, to be alone wit the Nature and your family.
From our side,we went there a thursday afternoon, and met at a whole only 3 families. When we came back th next saturday, we counted at least 12 cars on the parking lot.
And because a screenshot is worth a thousand words…Please have a look at the following video (in french , but the images know no language..:-) ):
Now that you actually want to go there, here’s some explanation:
The access is quite easy , including for those who don’t own a 4WD car. the wadi is located approx. 2 hours drive from Amman.
If you come from Amman (North), the wadi entrance is located exactly 39 kilometers after the Wadi Mujib bridge. If you come from Aqaba (south), the access is around 2 kilometers after the “ARAB POTASH” factory. The reference point is a white and grey monument located on the western side of the road.
200 m North from this landmark, you take the first car trail you’ll see heading to the East. 600 meters aft, you can park your car into a dust parking lot, clearly identified.
Now let’s walk. 200 meters after the beginning, the wadi turns left, and here’s the first surprise: a big hanging rock above your head.
As of now, the ambiance and the light and the colors will delight you. You will discover a beautiful valley, soon turning into a Siq, while you kids play in the stream (by the way, they WILL get wet, make them wear appropriate shoes or sandals).
After a pleasant 800 meters walk, you actully enter the Siq:
…and for more than one kilometer, you won’t regret anything, except you’ll find the Siq too short!
And even the rocks and the fauna will be part of the game:
Thank you for following us. Other trek memos to come…Enjoy, share and..comment ! 🙂Follow us in social medias